The University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) accepts international visiting students through over 20 UCAS faculties and over 100 institutes of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). For detailed information about disciplines, CAS institutes and UCAS faculties, please visit the UCAS website at http://english.ucas.ac.cn/.
The schooling system for visiting students ranges from 1 semester to 2 years. A non-degree certificate of study can be awarded if the visiting student successfully completes his/her study at UCAS. Official transcripts are also available upon request. Any international student or scholar who is willing to take courses, do research or conduct an academic exchange at UCAS may consult or apply to CAS institutes and UCAS faculties.
2. General Conditions for Applicants
(1) Non-Chinese citizens;
(2) Healthy and willing to abide by the Chinese laws and decrees;
(3) Education requirements:
● Regular visiting student: have completed at least one year of undergraduate study;
● Senior visiting student: hold at least a Master’s degree.
(4) Language skills requirements:
●For programs offered in Chinese: should pass the new HSK band 5 with score more than 180;
● For programs offered in English: Good command of English.
3. Application Guideline
(1) CHECK ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
You should verify that you meet ALL the requirements specified in the “General conditions for applicants” section of this call.
(2) FIND AN ELIGIBLE HOST SUPERVISOR AFFILIATED WITH UCAS FACULTY OR CAS INSTITUTE THAT AGREES TO ACCEPT YOU.
See here for a list of eligible supervisors affiliated with UCAS faculties/CAS institutes.
Once you find an eligible professor of your interest, you must contact him/her, send an explanatory e-mail together with your CV, research proposal and any other required documents to him/her, and indicate that you wish to apply for the Visiting Students Program of UCAS.
(3)SUBMIT YOUR ADMISSION APPLICATION VIA THE ONLINE SYSTEM.
Applications shall be submitted via the Online Application System for International Students of UCAS (http://adis.ucas.ac.cn) which would be officially launched around Dec. 15, 2017. Please prepare and upload the following materials to the system.Make sure the electronic version of supporting documentation is in the right format as requested for the online application system.
•Your regular passport which has at least 2 years validity (only pages showing personal and validity details are needed);
•Your recent full-face bust photo with 2-inch;
•Complete CV with a brief introduction of research experience;
•Original copy of the highest degree certificate you held (applicants having just completed or about to complete their degree should provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating the expected graduation date);
•Original copy of the highest degree’s transcripts;
•Detailed research proposal;
•Photocopies of all the title pages and abstracts of maximum 5 published academic papers;
•TWO reference letters (NOT the host supervisor) familiar with you and your work (signed, dated and on official headed paper with contact phone number and email address)
•Foreigner Physical Examination Form
(4) REMIND YOUR SUPERVISOR TO COMPLETE THE SUPERVISOR’S COMMENT PAGE AND SEND IT TO THE INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS OFFICE OF UCAS BY THE UCAS FACULTY/CAS INSTITUTE WHICH HE/SHE IS AFFILIATED WITH.
1. The applicant should affirm that, all the information and materials he/she provides here are true and correct. If there is any forge or false documents, he/she will undertake all the consequences.
2. The applicant cannot apply to more than one institute/school and supervisor.
3. All the above supporting documentation must be in English or Chinese, otherwise notarial translations in English or Chinese are required.
4. Lack of application documents or unsatisfactory documents will not be accepted and none of the documents will be returned.
5. Please DO NOT send any of your supporting documentation directly to the International Students Office of UCAS.
4. Application Time
The whole-year working hours.
5. Visa Application and Admission Registration
UCAS will admit excellent students from among the eligible applicants and send an Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW201/ JW202) to the admitted students. The admitted students should bring their personal and ordinary passport, Admission Notice, Visa Application Form (JW201/JW202), and original Form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners as well as other original documents of physical examination to an Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China, and apply for a student visa (X1/X2 visa).
Please keep safe the original Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW201/ JW202) which are needed for registration and residence permit application. Please do not enter China visa-free or with other types of visas other than X visa. Students should register in the required place indicated on the Admission Notice within the expected period of registration. Otherwise, students should apply to UCAS for late registration.
6. Fees and Scholarship
6.1 Application Fee, Tuition, and Other Costs:
(1) RMB450 or USD, EUR equivalent(Non-refundable);
(2) Tuition Regular:
Visiting Student RMB 2,600/month;
Senior Visiting Student RMB 3,000/month;
For applicants outside mainland China, payments must be made in US dollars in the form of a personal check or money order or traveler’s check attached to the application form, payable to UCAS. For applicants currently in mainland China, payments must be made in Chinese currency by sending money directly to the following bank account (Please specify that the money is for the application fee):
Beneficiary: University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
Account number: 11001059200053002790
Bank: Construction Bank of China
Beijing Municipal Dongfang Guangchang Branch
Applicants may also submit the admission fee to the UCAS Financial Department.
(3) Premium of Comprehensive Insurance:
RMB 800/year, RMB 400/half year;
(4) Outpatient service fee is paid according to the insurance scheme from insurance company.
Board expenses, travel expenses and other cost of experiments, meetings or trainings beyond the program curricular is at the student’s own expense.
●Chinese Government Scholarship
The Chinese Government Scholarship supports many programs, including Bilateral Program, Great Wall Program, EU Program, PIF Program, etc., to sponsor international students and scholars to study and research in Chinese universities. The scholarship offers a fee waiver of tuition and application fee, health insurance, on-campus dormitory accommodation, etc. Please refer to the website of the China Scholarship Council (http://www.csc.edu.cn/Laihua/) for detailed introduction, qualifications of applicants and admission process.
UCAS is one of the authorized universities for the Chinese Government Scholarship. Eligible applicants may apply to the China Scholarship Council by the recommendation of the related national official departments and Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China. The scholarship usually starts in November and finishes the following April. Due to different deadlines of various countries, please check in advance. The International Students Office of UCAS will offer pre-admission notice if needed.
●UCAS Scholarship for International Students (Partial Award)
This scholarship offers talent international students and scholars to have visiting study at UCAS. It provides a fee waiver of tuition and health insurance. Please refer to the UCAS website (http://english.ucas.ac.cn/) for more information.