The University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) accepts international students through over 20 UCAS faculties and over 100 institutes of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). See here for detailed information about applicable UCAS faculties and CAS institutes.
Doctoral programs commonly last for 3-4 years. Certificates of graduation and degrees will be awarded to those who have met the requirements of graduation and degree conferment.
- General Conditions for Applicants
(1) Non-Chinese citizens who abide by China's laws and decrees, as well as UCAS's rules and regulations.
(2) Be of good character and in good health without any infectious disease or physical or mental diseases that may affect the normal study.
(3) Holding a Master's degree or its equivalent.
As some countries' higher education systems are very different from the Chinese system, applicants from different education systems should see Attachment 1 for reference.
(4) English proficiency is required. For Chinese-taught programs, the applicant's Chinese proficiency shall reach at least HSK level 5.
- Application Time
● Program for 2022 fall semester: Please submit online application during November 1st, 2021–April 30th, 2022. For those who apply to UCAS for scholarship, please submit application before March 31st, 2022.
● Program for 2023 spring semester: Please submit online application during May 1st, 2022–October 30th, 2022.
- Application Materials
Applicant shall carefully prepare the application materials in strict accordance with the following requirements, and must ensure that the submitted materials are true and valid. Otherwise, they will be disqualified from application or admission. If the application materials are incomplete or do not meet the requirements, they will be returned for modification or will not be accepted.
All documents must be in English or Chinese. Otherwise, scanned copy of the original and its English or Chinese translation are required to combine into one PDF file. Please use color scanner to scan the original documents of your certificates and others. Documents taken by mobile phone or camera and copies are unacceptable. In the process of reviewing the application materials, the university may require some applicants to provide the original version of the application materials, the verification documents issued by the designated authority and others for further examination.
- ID Page of Valid Passport
- Passport type must be ordinary. It shall have at least 1 year validity. Applicants who have given up their original Chinese citizenship and become foreign citizens shall provide the documents certifying the cancellation of Chinese nationality, according to the Nationality Law of the People's Republic of China.
- Full-Face Bust Photo with 2-Inch
- The uploaded photo shall be the same as that used for your passport.
- Complete CV with Detail Education and Research Experience
- Original Certificates of Master's and Bachelor's Degree
Applicants who have graduated must submit scanned copies of the original Master's degree certificate and bachelor's degree certificate. For those who are expected to graduate before September 2022, they shall provide a pre-graduation certificate from the student department of current university stating their expected graduation date. Their scanned copies of Master's degree certificate must be submitted to the International Student Office of UCAS via host college/institute before registration if they get admitted at UCAS.
- Original Transcripts of Master's and Bachelor's Study
Applicants who have graduated must submit scanned copies of their complete transcripts during Master's and Bachelor's studies. For those who are expected to graduate before September 2022, they can provide official transcripts up to the present. Their final complete transcripts must be submitted to the International Student Office of UCAS via host college/institute before registration if they get admitted at UCAS.
- Proof of knowledge of English/Chinese
English proficiency is required. Applicants must provide the scanned copy of valid IELTS or TOEFL result or other proof of their English proficiency (except those whose mother tongue is English).
Applicants for programs instructed in Chinese must provide the photocopy of HSK certificate (at least level 5 with no less than 180 scores) or other proof of their Chinese language proficiency.
- Published Academic Papers (if available);
- Please DO NOT provide any unpublished academic papers, neither nor non-academic papers.
- Motivation Letter with Detailed Research Proposal;
- The content of motivation letter should include your academic background, research experience, the reasons why you are applying for the program, study plan and research proposal, and your employment objectives after graduation, etc.
- Two Reference Letters
- The referees shall be professors or associate professors (or equivalent professionals with relevant academic title), not to be your host supervisor, and be familiar with you and your research work. The letters should be signed, dated on official headed paper with contact phone number and email address of the referees. Reference letters in the body of e-mails will NOT be accepted!
- Provisional Acceptance Form (If have) (Attachment 2)
- This form is a supplementary part of application materials. When submitting the application, if the applicant finds a supervisor and got accepted, he or she shall upload the supervisor-signed Provisional Acceptance Form to the online application system. If the applicant does not find any supervisor, he or she shall choose “I agree to be arranged to a more suitable college/institute/supervisor”, and the arranged supervisor who has interest to accept you shall upload this form to the online application system (The system will send an explanatory email to the supervisor).
Applicants are encouraged to make informal contact with potential supervisors prior to making an application. See here for a list of applicable schools/institutes and supervisors of UCAS. Send an explanatory e-mail together with your CV, transcripts, motivation letter with detailed research proposal and other documents to him/her, and clearly state that you wish to apply for the doctoral students program of UCAS.
- Certificate of Financial Support
For those who a. have already got financial support, please attach the certificate of financial support; b. are applying to study by self-support, please attach the affidavit of support from guarantors and a bank statement; c. are applying for UCAS Partial Scholarship to get tuition waiver, please complete its online application procedure.
- Bank Receipt of Application Processing Fee
- Applicants of ANSO Scholarship, Chinese Government Scholarship and UCAS Scholarship for International Students are not required to pay for this fee. Processing fee is non-refundable in any case.
- Online Application
Applicants are required to submit their application via the online application system (http://adis.ucas.ac.cn) within the application time. Offline applications are no longer acceptable. Please also note that:
(1)It is not mandatory for you to find a supervisor prior to submit an online application. Those who meet the above-mentioned conditions can submit application whether they find a supervisor or not.
(2)For applicants who do not find any supervisor when submitting application, they shall choose “I agree to be arranged to a more suitable college/institute/supervisor”. The latter may make informal contact with you to help them make a decision. Please consider and choose carefully. After admission, the university seldom approves the applications for change of college/institute and supervisor.
(3)The information filled in is very important for the university to make Admission Notice, Visa Application Form and others. Applicants must ensure that the information filled in is accurate, to avoid any impact on the subsequent related matters.
(4)Please DO NOT create two or more accounts and submit multiple applications to us. We will check the duplicates. Once verified, they will be disqualified from application or admission.
- Evaluation and Admission
UCAS enrols international students based on evaluation of application documents together with an entrance examination. The admission committee of the applicable UCAS schools/CAS institutes will review the application documents and select applicants for entrance examination. The examination will be mainly taken on interview. Some colleges/institutes may require applicants to take a written test. The examination shall be hold by the college/institute applied for and notified to the applicants who have passed the evaluation of application documents.
Admission is determined at UCAS school/CAS institute level with oversight by UCAS according to the result of the document review, the interview, and other factors. Admission Notices, Visa Application Forms and some other documents will be sent to the admitted students after the final admission result is released. Prior to this, applicants may check their admission status via the Online Application System for International Students of UCAS (here)
- Visa Application and Registration
The admitted student should take his personal passport that is used for admission application, Admission Notice, Visa Application Form (JW202/JW201), and original Form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners as well as other original documents of physical examination to the Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China, and apply for a student visa (X1/X2 visa). Please do not enter China visa-free or with other types of visas other than X visa. Please keep the original Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW202/JW201) which are needed for registration and residence permit application.
The admitted student should register at the place indicated in the Admission Notice, and should register on the assigned date. Otherwise, they should get the university approval in advance.
- Fees and Scholarships
8.1 Application Processing Fee, Tuition, and Expenses:
(1) Application processing fee: RMB 600 (Non-refundable);
Liberal Arts: RMB 34,000/year;
All Other Disciplines: RMB 40,000/year;
(3) Accidental Injury and Hospitalization Insurance premium:
RMB 800/year, RMB 400/half year;
(4) Accommodation (shared rooms) fee: RMB 900/month for one student;
(5) Outpatient service fee is paid according to the insurance scheme of insurance company.
Board expenses, travel expenses and other costs of experiments, meetings and trainings beyond the program curriculum are at the student's own expense.
- Currencies other than RMB, USD and EUR are unacceptable.
- UCAS bank account information:
Beneficiary: University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
Account number: 11001059200053002790
Bank: Construction Bank of China
Beijing Municipal Dongfangguangchang Branch
- Please specify the purpose of the remittance and the student’s name, nationality and passport number.
- Due to the limitation of dormitory capacity, those who fail to make reservation need to find the accommodation off campus by themselves.
● Chinese Government Scholarship
The Chinese Government Scholarship sponsor international students to study at Chinese universities. The scholarship offers fee waivers of admission application and tuition, health insurance, on-campus accommodation, etc. Please refer to the website of the China Scholarship Council (http://www.csc.edu.cn/Laihua/) for detailed introduction, qualifications of applicants and application procedure.
UCAS is one of the Chinese Government Scholarship universities. Eligible applicants may apply to the China Scholarship Council with recommendation from related national official departments and Embassies or Consulates of the People's Republic of China. The scholarship application usually starts in November and ends in the following April, but please be noted of deadline variations for different countries. The International Students Office of UCAS will offer pre-admission notice if needed.
Applicants may submit application via UCAS (see here for detailed information and application procedure). But this is only for a small number of excellent international students who are not currently studying in China.
● ANSO Scholarship for Young Talents
The program offers full scholarship for international students from all over the world to pursue graduate education at UCAS. It provides tuition and application processing fee waivers and living allowance, health insurance and international travel subsidy. Please refer to here for detailed information and application procedure.
● UCAS Scholarship for International Students
The program offers full scholarship and partial scholarship for international students to pursue graduate education at UCAS. Full scholarship provides tuition fee waiver, health insurance and living allowance. Partial scholarship commonly provides tuition fee waiver and health insurance. Please refer to here for detailed information and application procedure.
- Contact Information
Coordinator: Ms. XIE Yuchen
International Students Office
University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
No.80 Zhongguancun East Road, Haidian District, Beijing, 100190, China