In order to promote the mutual understanding and friendship, cooperation and exchanges in various fields between China and other countries, the Chinese government has set up scholarship programs to sponsor international students, teachers and scholars to study or conduct research in Chinese universities.
Entrusted by the Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China, the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (hereinafter referred to as ‘UCAS’) will recruit outstanding young graduate students from all over the world and provide them the following full scholarships. (The actual number of students to be recruited and majors to be offered will be dynamically adjusted as needed)
1. Chinese Government Scholarship-Graduate Students Program
This program aims to promote the development of world-class universities and first-class disciplines, attract and support more high-level international students to study in China, strengthen the substantial cooperation between Chinese universities and overseas world-class universities and academic institutions, thus improving the management and international competitiveness of Chinese universities. This scholarship provides people across the world an opportunity to pursue doctoral degrees in the following majors and institutes in China.
Majors: Agricultural Resources and Environment, Atmospheric Sciences, Biology, Chemical Engineering and Technology, Chemistry, Ecology, Environmental Science and Engineering, Fishery Sciences, Geography, Geology, Geophysics, Materials Science and Engineering, Optical Engineering, Physics.
Research Institutes: Center for Agricultural Resources Research IGDB, Center for Excellence in Molecular Plant Sciences, Chengdu Institute of Biology, College of Resources and Environment UCAS, Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, Fujian Institute of Research on the Structure of Matter, Institute of Geographic Sciences and Natural Resources Research, Institute of Atmospheric Physics, Institute of Chemistry, Institute of Process Engineering, Institute of High Energy Physics, Institute of Soil Science, Institute of Theoretical Physics, Institute of Tibetan Plateau Research, Institute of Mountain Hazards and Environment, Institute of Hydrobiology, Institute of Zoology, Institute of Geology and Geophysics, Kunming Institute of Botany, Ningbo Institute of Materials Technology & Engineering, Northwest Institute of Eco-Environment and Resources, Qingdao Institute of BioEnergy and Bioprocess Technology, The Institute of Urban Environment, The College of Materials Science and Opto-electronic Engineering UCAS, The National Center for Nanoscience and Technology, School of Physical Sciences UCAS, Shanghai Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics, Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry.
2. Chinese Government Scholarship-Silk Road Program
This program aims to implement relevant initiatives of Vision and Actions on Jointly Building Silk Road Economic Belt and 21st-Century Maritime Silk Road and Education Action Plan for Jointing Building the Belt and Road Initiative. Based on the principles of focusing on strategy, targeted implementation, coordinated advancement and mutual benefits, this program supports industrial leaders and talented and skilled people from countries along the ‘Belt and Road’. This scholarship is open to people from countries along the Belt and Road to pursue doctoral degrees in the following majors and institutes in China.
Majors: Atmospheric Sciences, Biology, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Computer Science and Technology, Control Science and Engineering, Ecology, Environmental Science and Engineering, Geography, Geology, Information & Communication Engineering, Pharmacy.
Research Institutes: Aerospace Information Research Institute, Chengdu Institute of Biology, College of Life Sciences UCAS, Institute of Botany, Institute of Geology and Geophysics, Institute of Mountain Hazards and Environment, Institute of Software, Northwest Institute of Eco-Environment and Resources, Research Center for Eco-Environmental Sciences, Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, Wuhan Botanical Garden, Xinjiang Institute of Ecology and Geography, Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden.
3. Chinese Government Scholarship-Sino-Africa Friendship Program
In his opening speech at the 2018 Beijing Summit of the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation, President Xi Jinping expressed his commitment to provide 50,000 Chinese Government Scholarships for Africa. Therefore, the Sino-Africa Friendship Program was established cultivate urgently needed professionals for different industries, outstanding skilled and high-level talented people for African countries, so that they can support the implementation of Sino-African eight major initiatives. This program is open to people from African countries for doctoral and master degrees in the following majors and institutes in China.
Majors: Biology, Ecology, Geography, Zoology
Research Institutes: Aerospace Information Research Institute, Center for Agricultural Resources Research IGDB, Institute of Botany, Institute of Geographic Sciences and Natural Resources Research, Institute of Hydrobiology, Institut Pasteur Shanghai, Kunming Institute of Zoology, Nanjing Institute of Geography and Limnology, Wuhan Botanical Garden, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Xinjiang Institute of Ecology and Geography.
Ⅱ. Value and Benefits
1. Tuition fee
Successful PhD students who are awarded a scholarship are exempted from the tuition fee of RMB 40,000/year.
Successful Master students who are awarded a scholarship are exempted from the tuition fee of RMB 30,000/year.
2. Application fee
Successful applicants who are awarded a scholarship are exempted from the application fee of RMB 600.
3. Monthly stipend
Successful PhD applicants will receive a monthly stipend of RMB 5,000, of which RMB 1,500 will be provided by the supervisor or the CAS Institute the applicant is enrolled in.
Successful Master applicants will receive a monthly stipend of RMB 3,500, of which RMB 500 will be provided by the supervisor or the CAS Institute the applicant is enrolled in.
4. Medical Insurance
UCAS will buy insurance for the successful applicants with the insurance premium RMB 800/person. Please see the website (www.lxbx.net) for the introduction of insurance coverage.
Ⅲ. Sponsorship Period
Master students: 36 months (with no extension)
PhD students: 36 months (with permitted extension of no more than 12 months)
Ⅳ. Eligibility Criteria
1. To be eligible to receive the scholarship, the applicant must be a non-Chinese;
2. Requirements on education background and age as follows:
2.1 Applicants for master’s programs must have held a degree or diploma equivalent to a Chinese bachelor’s degree and the applicant should be no more than 35 years old.
2.2 Applicants for PhD programs must have held a degree or diploma equivalent to a Chinese master’s degree and the applicant should be no more than 40 years old.
As the education system in some countries is different from that in China, applicants from these countries can check UCAS website for the specific requirements on applicants’ education background. ( click the link).
3. Applicants should meet the general admission criteria for international students (please refer to the 2020 Enrollment Guide for international students).
4. Applicants must not have accepted any other sponsorship at the time of application and cannot accept any other sponsorship during the period of this scholarship.
5. Applicants should study full time in the research institute he/she is enrolled in and are not allowed to take any other job during his/her studies.
Ⅴ. Application Process
1. Applicants should check their eligibility.
Applicants should read this scholarship introduction carefully and make sure you are eligible to apply.
2. Applicants should get the acceptance by a UCAS supervisor.
Please check the official website of UCAS or the CAS institutes you want to apply for supervisors’ information.
You can send your CV, research proposal and other required documents to a suitable supervisor and tell him/her that you wish to apply for this Scholarship.
3. Applicants should submit online both your scholarship application and admission application.
3.1 Please Log in the Online CSC Application System, fill in and submit your scholarship application, then the system will automatically generate a CSC Application Form.
3.2 Please Log in the Online Admission System for International Students at UCAS, finish the required application procedures. Please check International Students Enrollment Guide for the information you need.
4. Applicants should remind your supervisor to log in the system to complete the required procedures before deadline.
After the institute/college you apply for review your application and decide to admit you, the online application system will automatically send an email to your supervisor with the instructions to log in the system and complete the required procedures.
Ⅵ. Application Deadline
April 30th, 2020
Ⅶ. Additional Information
1. Apart from the listed scholarship programs in this document, UCAS also accept students who are awarded the Chinese Government Scholarship-Bilateral Program, Chinese Government Scholarship-EU Program and other programs. Please check the application process on https://www.csc.edu.cn/, if you want to apply for these programs. The applicant need to submit the scholarship application onlineand log in the Online Application System for International Students at UCASto finish the admission application. If you need a preadmission notice, please contact us after you finish your application process
2. Successful applicants should register at the time and place indicated in the Admission Notice. If you cannot come for registration on time for personal reasons and hope for a delay, please ask for approval from UCAS.
3. The time for registration set out in the Admission Notice will be the starting day of this scholarship.
4. Successful applicants must abide by relevant rules and regulations of the People’s Republic of China, UCAS and the research institute that you are enrolled in. You must take the qualifying tests, attend annual reviews and take other examinations on time. Otherwise, you will be suspended or deprived of your scholarship.
5. Successful applicants cannot change the college/institutes you are enrolled in, your major and the period of your stay in China.
6. During their sponsorship period, successful applicants should publish their research achievements with UCAS and the institutes they are enrolled in as their academic institutions and should state that their research is funded by the Chinese Government Scholarship.
Ⅷ. Contact Information
Coordinator: Ms. Xu Zijuan
Department: UCAS International Students Office
Address: University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, No.80 Zhongguancun East Road, Haidian District, Beijing, 100190, China
Tel/Fax: +86 10 82674900